I write feature stories, essays, and reviews for printed and online publications, such as Movies.com, the SXSW magazine SXSWorld, and Slackerwood. I've also written for publications that are no longer active, such as Cinematical, the Austin edition of The Onion, and Variety's film-festival blog The Circuit.
My feature-writing experience includes interviews and event coverage as well as features for newsletters.
You can view the following samples of my features and reviews:
- Crowdfunding 101: What It Is and How Should You Use It—Initial column in a continuing series about crowd-sourced funding and independent filmmaking. Written for Movies.com, October 2011.
- Review: Moneyball—Review of the feature film Moneyball. Written for Slackerwood, September 2011.
- Leave it to The Beaver: Eagerly Awaited Film Has Austin Roots—Article about the movie The Beaver, based primarily on an interview with Austin screenwriter Kyle Killen. Written for SXSWorld, March 2011.
- SXSW 2011 Guides: Filmgoing Tips for Locals and Passholders—Annual SXSW guide has become one of the most popular features on Slackerwood, March 2011.
- Marfa Film Festival: A Long Laid-Back West Texas Weekend—Feature highlighting the film festival and many of the movies screened there. Written for Cinematical, May 2010.
- Interview: Bruce Campbell—Feature story about my interview with the actor/filmmaker to discuss his film My Name is Bruce. Written for Cinematical, November 2008.
In addition, a nonfiction essay I wrote about movie theaters in New Orleans was published in the anthology Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans in February 2006.